Monday, August 11, 2008

Making Blueberry Freezer Jam

I have to admit, this was the easiest jam making experience EVER! Seriously people, if you're afraid, be not afraid. This is an easy process. And even though this isn't normally a cooking blog, I'm going to walk you through it. (it's an eclectic blog, at least I like to think of it that way)

So first, you'll need a package of Ball No Sugar Needed Pectin (I picked it up at Fred Meyer), blueberries, lemon juice, white grape juice or apple juice and sugar, splenda or honey if you want to sweeten it.

The first step is to put the juice and lemon juice in your pan and slowly whisk in the pectin. Heat at medium high and stir until it's a boil you can't stir down, boil and stir constantly for 1 minute.

After that you add in your 2 pounds of blueberries. Instead of mashing them with a potato masher (cuz I don't have one) I just pulsed them in the food processor a bit.

Then you stir them in vigorously for one minute. After that you add your sweetener of choice, or not. I added almost a cup of sugar. Plenty sweet for us. I was out of splenda or I would have tried that. Then you're done, seriously now, that was easy!

The last step is to ladle it into little containers you can freeze.

Then you scrape what is in the pan on a piece 'o' bread. YUMMY!!! Warm jam!
You put them in your refrigerator for up to 24 hours and when they're set you put them in the freezer. It says they'll keep in the fridge for 3 weeks. Mmmmm....my plan for this week is to make peach jam and blueberry-strawberry jam. We'll see ho much I accomplish.

I'm headed to the coast today for a memorial service. A friend I taught with in Seaside lost her son. A sad trip to the coast, but one to support a friend. Have a fabulous Monday! AND....a new pay it forward post coming soon, because I won Michelle's giveaway. And, in keeping with tradition, I will pay it forward.

1 comments:

Mrs. Bigler said...

YUMMY.... I need to try this with my raspberries next season.

Sorry you had a sad day at the coast. I hope all went well. It is sad to loose people. my heart goes out for his family and how nice you went to support your friend. Amazing (that word is for heather) :)

Oh, and about your work count....do we have to "official" return on Monday??? I thought it was Tuesday ? HoHum it's close anyway.