Monday, November 17, 2008

Yummy Dinner

So I made a yummy dinner last night...at least my family and I think so. I was thinking I should make something with pasta due to the fact that we have so much of it around. It must have been on a good sale or something. I can't resist a great price.

So. Dinner. I found this recipe, Baked Ziti with Turkey Meatballs over at Epicurious. I thought it sounded yummy, but didn't want to make my own meatballs, and happened to have a bag of turkey meatballs from Trader Joe's. I think in the future I'll make the meatballs over there because they sound delicious. So here is the modified recipe:

Baked Ziti with Turkey Meatballs

you need:
1 pound ziti penne pasta
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese (about 3 ounces)
about 6 cups pasta sauce (two jars)
a 15-ounce container ricotta cheese (I used low fat)

In a kettle of salted boiling water cook pasta until just al dente, about 8 minutes, and drain well. I used the whole grain penne pasta.

In a small bowl toss together 6 oz. shredded mozzarella and 3 oz. shredded Romano cheeses (I used a blend of romano and parmesan because that was what I had on hand.

Spoon about 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce and half of meatballs into prepared dish (I used my 9x13 stoneware baking dish from Pampered Chef) and spoon half of pasta on top. Spread half remaining sauce and half cheese mixture over pasta. Top with remaining meatballs and drop dollops of ricotta over meatballs. Spread remaining pasta over ricotta and top with remaining sauce and remaining cheese mixture.

Bake in middle of oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden, and let stand 10 minutes before serving.

This stuff was a hit with the family. I wanted to serve it with broccoli and garlic toast, but had neither so I made green beans to go with it. Lots of yummy leftovers too!

Happy Monday to you and have a nice week!

1 comments:

Kristi said...

I created a variation on that on a whim a few weeks ago and now it has become out standard Friday night meal.