Saturday, November 29, 2008

Car Shopping Sucks

So Mr. Tall was rear ended and shoved into another car last week while driving his Ford Ranger. He is fine (so far) but the insurance company has decided that the truck is totaled. The body shop says they cannot fix it in a way that it would be safe to drive either. So now we're waiting to hear from the claims adjuster on what they'll offer us for the truck. Rumor has it they usually offer you next to nothing, instead of "replacement cost" of the vehicle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a fair amount. I've been calling upon the good karma gods out there and trying to cash in good karma I've earned. Wish us luck.

In the mean time, while we wait we decided we should probably start looking for something else. The rental we have is only ours for a week or so more. So....we dropped Shorty off at Grammy's house and headed out to check out the used car lots. We braced ourselves for the smarmy greasy pariah that are car salesmen. The first place we stopped at we witnessed a salesman chasing a woman down trying to make a sale...seriously, does he think this will encourage her to buy the car?

I. Think. Not.

So we didn't find anything we can't live without. Nor did we find any deals that made us want to sit down and sign papers. Part of the issue is we don't know how much we really have work with. We're hoping to cash flow the cost of the new truck. I just don't want to deal with a car loan. I hate debt!!!

So wish us luck. I'll keep you posted. And if you know of a screamer of a deal on a 2001-ish Nissan Frontier or Ford Ranger with a back seat and a great price.....e-mail me.

0 comments: