Saturday, September 13, 2008

Guest Post by Katie

So while I was having lunch this week with my former team mate and all over gal pal Katie she was sharing her famous tortilla soup recipe. I said if she e-mailed it to me I'd let her be my first guest poster. So here it is! Thanks Katie, you're now an official rock star blogger in my book. AND...if any of you want to guest post on my blog, just e-mail me!! I'd be honored to have you here.

From Katie:
Here's the recipe we discussed at lunch...
4 chicken breast halves
2 15 oz cans of black beans, undrained
2 15 oz cans of Mexican stewed tomatoes or rotel tomatoes
1 cup salsa
4 oz can of chopped green chilies
14.5 oz can tomato sauce
tortilla chips
2 cups grated cheese
1. Combine all ingredients except chips & cheese in large slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on low 8 hours.
3. Just before serving, remove chicken breasts & slice into bite-sized pieces. Stir into soup.
4. To serve, put a handful of chips in each individual soup bowl. Ladle soup over chips. Top with cheese.

From Janelle:
This stuff is really yummy!! Seriously...a couple years ago on an inservice day at school Katie had us all over for lunch and she served this stuff...yummy! (and I don't usually like salsa) MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm Good!

Happy Saturday to you all. We're still fighting pink eye here. (grumble grumble, maybe I should start writing sub plans for Monday)

Edited to add more pink eye updates...So Shorty and I took a nap. To get her to chill out due to the "pricklies" in her eye I gave her some ibuprofen and eye drops. When she woke up...three hours later, she had a bit of blood on her cheek. Freaked me out, but I stayed calm for her, it's amazing how I can do that even when I'm seriously freaking out on the inside. I called our pediatrician's office...they have a night answering service that has an advice nurse call you. From what I told her she decided she needed to call the doctor on call. Dr. on call said to try some Benadryl as she is thinking maybe Shorty is suffering from allergies on top of the pink eye. Poor kid has had more medicine today that she's had for the entire month combined. Dr. said she also wanted to see her tomorrow (yes, Sunday) at the clinic. I had no idea the office was open on Sunday...wow! Love our pediatrician!!!

Wish us luck, I'm ready for Shorty McShort to be all better, be able to go back to daycare (she only went one day this week and then couldn't go the next day).

Also edited to add notes from Katie, our guest blogger:
Here's a tip...freeze all the leftovers sans chips & cheese. It's dreamy to have something in the freezer that I can pull out the night before, put in the fridge & warm up after a long day at work.

Which Katie will need after the birthday party she's got tomorrow (Sunday). She's been busting her hump today with the little person underfoot getting into daddy's deodorant. She's a trooper!! Go Katie!

0 comments: